Friday, December 30, 2011

Lobbying to get a private members bill passed

While I have an entire team getting signatures, I have been working away on lobbying. My mission is to get this private members bill passed. As a mother of a child with nut allergies... This is my duty. I personally wont stop until this does pass.

Some background on private members bills in Canada:

A private members bill is a proposed law introduced by a member of parliament. In most countries with a parliamentary system, bills are proposed and passed by the government, not by individual members. In Canada, an MP (Member of Parliament) that produces a legislative motion is allocated the time for its consideration but it is restricted. Private Members' Bills may be considered only during one of the daily Private Members' Hours. This was established in 1986, the idea was that 20 items of private members' business are selected at random to receive priority in debate. Six of these items are chosen by a committee to be votable and must come to a vote in the House. Even under the new rules, very few private member's bills become law. The reason this is such a perfect time for starting this is that every time an election is called, a bill that has not passed dies on the order paper, in other words removed from the agenda.


On this link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/legislation/privatememberspublicbills.aspx you can find all the private members bills that have passed, while it is somewhat discouraging to see that only 235 bills have passed since 1910, you must realize the bills that do pass are for the benefit of children, health of the public, health of the environment, or for items that help the roots and values of Canada.


Such as:  the "Non-smokers' Health Act" (aka Bill C-204), passed in 1986, (given Royal Assent on June 28, 1988) restricting smoking in federally-regulated workplaces and on airplanes, trains and ships. The bill was passed in a free vote of the House of Commons despite being voted against by all members of the federal cabinet, including the Minister of Health.


None of this should worry you, as I received an email response back today from Health Canada stating: The private members bill I mentioned in my email would be given full support when it is brought forward in the house. This is huge!!!


This means that we have a key player. I will continue my lobbying... As I hope you continue emotionally supporting me and my family in this cause.


With love,


Krystle
on Behalf of my Son

No comments:

Post a Comment