Monday, January 2, 2012

A fear unlike any other

I don't need to tell you that living with life threatening allergies is equal to living with a disability. You can generally do enough research to discover that. For my family, when my son was diagnosed with a serious life threatening tree nut allergy, it was life changing. As a mother, nothing matters more in this world than to ensure the health and safety of your child. Typcally, a mother will take every necessary precaution known. After my son was hospitalized for his first anaphalactic reaction to tree nuts, I vowed to him and myself, I would make this better, make it safer. This is my job, my duty, my right! My son is not physically or mentally disbled. He is a bright 23 month old boy. He talks more than most kids his age; but he lives with a deadly nut allergy. A simple exposure could kill my son, and other children like him. If I dont react fast enough - it could be the end. This will NOT happen. Im still somewhat in a daze that this is happening to us. I never ever thought one of my kids would be allergic to nuts; but we make do. I would do anything for my kids, and lets face it... Children dont come with a warranty, or return policy.
As a result I am always on edge, always reading labells; following food recalls. I know that the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) recalls more food items because of hidden allergens than for listeria and e-coli combined. I know the steps required should my son be exposed (1. Don't hesitate, give epi-pen 2) call 9-1-1). The problem here is, how do I as a mother prevent every exposure? How do I ensure the risk is minimal?  Read labells, tell friends and family about his allergy, and watch everything he eats. That is all fine and dandy; of course I do those things. What about foods that don't require labells? Your fruits and vegetable don't carry labells. It is assumed you pick up an apple - well then that's an apple. They don't have labells...  Well you cant assume nothing! The legal system has protected stores. When you purchase an item from the store, this is called "an invitation to treat". The store holds minimal liability towards you. I'm sure if they did something such as an intentional tort, fell below the duty of care , they could be held liable, but they really are not. Major chains would have your money burnt out so fast by having you tied up in litigation for years...
My surprise came one day when I entered Loblaws, to find two cantaloupes in a bin of walnuts. I took a photo of it, as I take photos of all the nut displays... but this time I went to the manager. Walnuts are a +4 allergen for my son. I asked the manager what would be done with the cantaloupes. I was very bluntly told they would go back with the others where they belong. See - here is the problem. Those cantaloupes very well could end up in my house. To know that items like this are not washed before being put back, or better yet, thrown out really concerns me. My invitation to treat could very well be more then I bargained for. You would expect a certain duty of care to follow, an allergy/sensitivity procedure in place. Especially considering a family like mine spends an average of $200 a week in grocery stores. But this is not even my first concern...

My major concern is the open bin policy that is in place. In my local store there are walnuts beside my bananas; in an open basket. What if someone knocks that over? What if the walnuts flow into the bananas. A first sign of an allergic reaction is generally hives. Hives is a contact reaction to an allergen. So now my son is helping me get some bananas, DING... Point of contact. The hives begin, he rubs his eyes, maybe puts his hands in his mouth... His hands that have the allergen on them. Being an innocent child he has just spread the protein of the allergen to his mouth. His tongue will swell, his airways will close... and me, I wont know what just happened.

My mission is to have it mandatory that nut items be placed in a closed bin.  This will prevent general spilling on to the floor, contact with other perishable food items, and the placement of various items in the bin. This will prevent the serious risk posed to children and adults living with life threatening allergies. This is not a hard thing to implement as Bulk Barn already has this in place. Cross-contamination is a fear like no other for my family and the families of the 1.2 million Canadians that live with food allergies. This is what can cause a delay in treatment, because the actually cause of the anaphylaxis is unknown.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is really eye-opening for me. I read a lot of labels, and see the "warning: this item may contain traces of wheat, soy, or nuts" bit on so many items. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to constantly be fielding possible allergens. Thanks for giving insight to those of us who are a bit clieless on the matter! Is it likely he'll grow out of the allergy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I don't know how to reply directly to you Miriam. Generally allergies so life threatening generally don't get easier but worse each time. Allergies such as milk, eggs and soy, along with environmental allergies can change over time. Allergies to peanuts, tree nuts or shellfish will stay permanently and get worse. I will post a blog about this and support it with detailed research but for this comment I think it is sufficient to just say it :-)

    ReplyDelete