Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Commitment? Commited?


Since the petition has been introduced to the House of Commons we have to patiently await a response. In case you don’t know The House of Commons really only has to be in session once in a 12 month period. This is in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms s. 5 “ There shall be a sitting of Parliament and of each legislature at least once every twelve months. So currently they have no sitting days in The House of Commons till September 17, 2012 and it started June 25th, 2012. I would say that is a nice summer vacation, but just because they are not sitting, does not mean that each MP is not working very hard.



Just today I spoke to my Member of Parliament on the phone. It is still really weird to me to have the privilege to speak to such a wise man that is actually very powerful. It takes so much dedication to become a decision maker. So I feel humble and honoured that I get to speak with him. Nonetheless, our conversation today took a different twist than normal. He asked me my level of commitment to this matter. Obviously I told him I am committed, I am an all or nothing kind of person. He mentioned some of the things I would have to do to get this really to take off, meeting with officials, lobbying, setting up a foundation etc. He told me how my goal to become a lawyer may be put on hold and how my personal life might be strained. (Hard to think that it could become anymore strained as I currently go to school every evening as it is.) However, he asked me to watch the 1992 movie “Lorenzo’s Oil”. So now I am doing everything and looking everywhere to find myself a legitimate copy of it. My conversation with him started to make me think. As a mother to the child I am doing this for… What wouldn’t I do for him? What mother would not go above and beyond to make things safer for their child? How would not make and take the steps to better improve generations of life? This is not just for my son. This is for my son’s kids, my daughter’s kids, their grandkids, their great great grand kids. This is for each of the children in Canada dealing with the exact same thing my son is dealing with.



Anyways, I am committed to this like glue is stuck to paper once it dries. Anyways, before I speak to my MP I must see this movie, as he has requested. I will of course keep you posted.

XOXOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment